Coming Spring 2015!
Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Athletes:
A Mindful Eating Program for Sports and Life
Michelle May, M.D.
Katie Jeffrey, MS, RDN, CSSD
Empower Athletes to Nourish and Fuel their Bodies for Optimal Health and Athletic Performance
The scientifically-based sports nutrition book, Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Athletes: A Mindful Eating Program for Athletes and Life, is a guide for meeting the athlete’s needs to achieve optimal performance. This book, based on the Am I Hungry?® Mindful Eating Program, applies a non-diet, weight-neutral, mindfulness-based approach to empower athletes to take charge of their decisions about nourishing, fueling, and hydrating their bodies for training, competition, recovery, rest, health, and self-care.
Mindful eating is an inside-out approach that guides athletes to apply the recommendations to their particular sport, lifestyle, food preferences, training regimen, and environmental conditions. Using awareness and curiosity, the athlete learns to test their body’s response and determine what works best for them.
The challenge that many athletes face is determining how to nourish, fuel and hydrate their bodies in a way that allows them to excel at their sport while balancing their natural need to eat for enjoyment. Athletes commonly struggle with one of more of these issues:
- Not having enough nutrition and sports nutrition information, resulting in suboptimal sports performance.
- Having too much nutrition and sports nutrition knowledge from myriad sources. This leads to uncertainty about what information is factual and confusion about which guidelines to follow.
- Wanting to eat healthfully but struggling with his/her relationship with food.
Delving far beyond the obvious advice of “eat to fuel your body for peak performance.” Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Athletes explores the Mindful Eating Cycle and the bio-psycho-social drivers of each decision point. It guides athletes to:
- Re-establish hunger as their primary cue for eating
- Recognize their triggers for overeating and/or underfueling
- Understand how to apply scientifically-based sports nutrition guidelines to their specific needs
- Learn to balance eating for enjoyment and nourishment
- Find a healthy balance between training, recovery, and rest for optimal athletic performance, and enjoyable, sustainable physical activity for health and well-being.
Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Athletes provides a powerful and universal approach to the complex issues contributing to problematic eating behaviors that can hamper athletic performance. With this book, athletes will:
- Increase their motivation, self-efficacy, and conscious decision-making.
- Develop effective thinking patterns, emotional responses and behaviors around eating, hydration, physical activity, health, and self-care.
- Manage their food intake based on both internal cues of hunger and satiety and scientifically-based sports nutrition guidelines.
- Recognize and reduce triggers for overeating and undereating/underfueling.
- Improve nutrition through balance, variety, and moderation.
- Find a healthy balance between training, recovery, and rest.
- Develop personalized skills and strategies that support lasting change.
For more information, visit: http://amihungry.com/programs/mindful-eating-for-athletes/