Kids love these moist, sweet muffins.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Bake: 400°F for 20 minutes
Makes: 12 muffins
Storage: Store in air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
2 Tbsp. canola oil
½ cup nonfat buttermilk (To make buttermilk, place 1 tsp. distilled white vinegar in a glass measuring cup and add enough milk to make ½ cup buttermilk. Stir and let sit for ~ 5minutes.)
2/3 cup unsweetened, all-natural applesauce
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup oat bran cereal
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. kosher salt
2 cups carrots, shredded
1 apple, washed, peeled and chopped
½ cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
½ cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Spray twelve 2 ½ – inch muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray or line with aluminum and paper baking cups.
3. In a large mixer bowl, whisk the eggs and oil together. Stir in the milk, applesauce, and vanilla. Add the sugar and mix well.
4. In separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients. Beat until just moistened. Gently mix in the carrots, apple, pecans and raisins.
5. Batter will be thick; spoon into muffin cups. Fill each muffin cup approximately 2/3 full.
6. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in centers of muffins comes out clean.
7. Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm.
Author: Katie Jeffrey, MS, RD, CSSD
2010 Copyright. FitNutrition, LLC. All rights reserved.