This is a great salad to bring to picnics and parties. The sweet fruit goes well with the crunchy mild flavored broccoli, subtle sweetness of the crisp carrots and the red onion provides a bit of The vegetables are then covered with sweet and tangy sauce.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Makes: Six, 1 cup servings
Storage: Refrigerate in air-tight container for up to 3 days.
4 cups (approximately 1 head broccoli) cut into bite-sized spears
¾ cup carrot, shredded (approximately 1 large carrot; lightly place in measuring cup after shredding)
1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
2/3 cup red grapes, cut in half or, if large grapes, cut into quarters OR ¼ cup raisins (gently place in measuring cup; do not pack)
¼ cup peanuts, unsalted and chopped OR pumpkin seeds, shelled and roasted (Try Kathie’s Kitchen Gourmet Superseedz)
½ cup mayonnaise made with canola or olive oil (I prefer Hellmann’s)
1 ¼ Tbsp. red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. light brown sugar, packed
1. Place all ingredients for salad EXCEPT nuts or seeds in a medium-sized bowl and mix well. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients.
3. Cover and refrigerate salad and sauce ingredients separately until you are ready to serve.
4. Mix approximately half of the nuts or seeds into the broccoli salad; reserve the remainder.
5. Pour sauce over broccoli mixture and mix well. Garnish with the remainder of the nuts or seeds.
6. Serve within 20 minutes.
Author: Katie Jeffrey, MS, RD, CSSD
Copyright 2011. FitNutrition. All rights reserved.